The Cloud Engineer position is a highly technical role that requires a thorough understanding of application and database environments. Successful candidates will posses a strong technical knowledge of Red Hat Enterprise Linux (RHEL), and a solid understanding of VMWare virtualization technologies. The role is responsible for building operating platform environments and ensuring they conform to industry and company best-practice standards.
The Cloud Engineer uses innovative problem-solving approaches to proactively tackle a broad range of problems and develops recommendations to implement solutions. The role participates in developing new standards and documenting policies to ensure consistent and secure environments. He or she will have the ability to work independently while proactively communicating timely updates within the department, and project teams. Communication skills are crucial for interacting with customers and business partners to influence solutions focused on achieving optimal results.
Qualifications: The following are preferred or desired, unless specifically stated:
- Must possess a Bachelor’s/College Degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering or similar area of expertise.
- Minimum 5 years experience with RHEL systems administration and engineering.
- Minimum 5 years experience with VMware systems administration and engineering.
- Knowledge of Enterprise Cloud Environment comprised of compute, storage, networking and automation.
- Knowledge in VMware automation and orchestration tools.
- Deep knowledge in RHEL operating systems including installation, deployment, troubleshooting and patching.
- Experienced in scripting (Shell / PERL Scripting, Puppet)
- Strong ability to document process and procedures for team guidelines, project details for support documentation, and remediation validation for audits
- Strong understanding of Service Desk, Incident Management, Problem Management, Change Management, Configuration Management and Computer Operations IT disciplines absolutely preferred.
- Must work well in a fast-paced, dynamic environment and be able to manage multiple tasks, projects, and initiatives all with different priorities at the same time.
- Results oriented, willing to take responsibility and accept accountability for action.
- Comfortable with ambiguity as needs change on a regular basis.
- High degree of initiative and sense of urgency.
- Strong interpersonal, communication skills are essential.
- Genuine desire to provide superior customer service.
Key Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Work with Project Managers, Tech Leads, DBA, Developers and Build Engineers to understand project requirements and validate that it conforms with our standards.
- Build and provision servers and systems using standard deployment procedures (VRO/VRA) based on project’s requirements and design analysis.
- Provide performance monitoring and tuning during all phases of the project’s cycle.
- Investigate and troubleshoot server or system layer issues.
- Help install and configure virtual environments with VMware, which utilize COTS applications and other solution based software.
- Configure and deploy systems for Database, Application and/or Web Servers.
- Create complete and thorough documentation.
- Support business and IT customers through ITSM service and change management processes.
- Work as a mentor to fellow engineers