A skilled and competent member of a small cross-functional core team focused on providing a centre of excellence for MS SQL SERVER DBMS within the wider build team. This core team will be responsible for application development and related database administration functions for very large relational databases. As a member of this team, the DBA will be focus in implementing scalable systems and databases for new and on-going development of Safeway applications.
Candidates must be experienced in SQL tuning of complicated queries generated by applications, BI tools; including physical database design; administration of development and production objects in a change control fashion; creation of users and databases; assignment of appropriate privileges; back-up and recovery using Netbackup; implementation of security functions for compliance; monitoring system resource utilization, and development of performance and capacity plan to proactively determine if the system is capable of support future growth. The DBA will work closely with the Data Architects, Application developers, other TSG Engineers and vendors to develop database design, Implementation, and support of these critical systems.
- 5+ years of hands-on experience as a SQL Server Database Administrator, working directly with SQL Server 2008/R2, 2012, 2014 and 2016.
- Experience with Performance Tuning and Optimization (PTO), using native monitoring, troubleshooting tools (SQL Profile and Performance Monitoring), Indexing and Partitioning.
- Experience in the use of Windows Server 2008/R2 – 2016 includes Windows server clustering technology.
- Experience in backup and restore (including redirected restoration) using Native tool or third-party tool like Actifio & Networker.
- Strong knowledge with different recovery models.
- Experience in High Availability SQL Server solutions including Always On Availability Group, Log Shipping, Replication and Oracle Golden Gate for SQL Server.
- Strong knowledge in the use of SQL Server Tools; SSIS, SSRS and SSMS.
- Experience in SQL Server TDE and Database Partitioning.
- Demonstrated use of scripting, Stored Procedures, Triggers, Cursors, Logins and Views.
- Experience with a second DBMS (especially Oracle) is highly desirable.
- BS/BA in Computer Science, Business Administration, or related.
- Results oriented get-it-done personality, willing to take responsibility and accept accountability for action.
- Ability to organize and plan work independently.
- Flexible and ability to work in a rapidly changing environment.
- Ability to multi-task and context-switch effectively between different activities and teams
- Genuine desire to provide superior customer service.
- Strong communication and leadership skills with the demonstrated ability to lead and influence technical professionals across the enterprise.
- Excellent oral and written skills with the ability to interact with senior management and business customers are essential in this role.
- Strong understanding of ITIL service support and service delivery.
- Knowledgeable in Cloud technologies such as Puppet, GitHub and VM.
- Manage SQL Server databases through multiple product lifecycle environments, from development to production systems.
- Configure and maintain database servers and processes, including monitoring of system health and performance, to ensure high levels of performance, availability, and security.
- Refine and automate regular processes, track issues, and document changes.
- Assist developers with complex query tuning and schema refinement.
- Independently analyze, solve, and correct issues in real time, providing problem resolution end-to-end.
- Backup and Restore database (with TDE) using native and third-party tool like Actifio or Networker.
- Provide support to application teams including database connectivity, index creation, implementation of DDL, DML, DCL and Data migration.
- Provide performance monitoring during all phases of the Application’s development lifecycle
- Provide database and SQL Tuning expertise through recommendation to application developers, vendors and other core Application teams.
- Provide Database configuration for optimal performance including Database Partitioning.