The Virtualization Administrator is highly technical and requires a thorough understanding of Safeway’s application and database platforms. Possesses solid technical knowledge of Red Hat Enterprise Linux (RHEL), Microsoft Windows Server Operating Systems, VMWare ESXi and VMWare systems management tools such as vCenter. Analyzes and identifies system and application variables which do not conform to industry best-practice and can utilize tools to identify differences between operating environments. Can work independently and lead teams with multi-disciplinary makeup.
The Virtualization Administrator uses innovative problem-solving approaches to proactively tackle a broad range of problems and develops appropriate recommendations to implement permanent solutions. Able to guide others in adaptive problem solving. Provides input on new/updates to practice and policies. Notifies appropriate individuals as decisions are made. Discusses and presents information and issues within IT, the business and externally across the company. Able to communicate with customers and business partners and influence others to build consensus and achieve customer objectives. Able to interface with business staff in business terms.
The Virtualization Administrator is also responsible for ensuring environment continuity by reviewing all changes implemented into the virtualization environments to validate overall impact on the computing system or application.
Qualifications: The following are preferred or desired, unless specifically stated:
- Minimum 5 years experience with VMWare administration and engineering. Other hypervisor experience is preferred
- Minimum 5 years experience with monitoring tools such as Patrol, TrueSight, Fluke, Splunk.
- Minimum 5 years experience with environment management or release management tools such as vCenter, vSphere, VRA, VRO, VROps.
- Skills in VRNI, NSX will be a plus.
- S. in a technical field, Computer Science preferred.
- Minimum 8 years experience with Enterprise products of which 5+ years experience engineering or supporting system solutions including integration and deployment of databases, volume managers, clustering software, scheduling software,
- Strong ability to document completely and accurately at all levels of solution development and implementation, following procedural steps, as directed, to assure compliance with Federal guidelines, policies, and laws, including those that drive Sarbanes Oxley and internal Safeway policies.
- Strong understanding of Service Desk, Incident Management, Problem Management, Change Management, Configuration Management and Computer Operations IT disciplines absolutely preferred.
- Results oriented, willing to take responsibility and accept accountability for action.
- Genuine desire to provide superior customer service.
- Comfortable with ambiguity as needs change on a regular basis.
- High degree of initiative and sense of urgency.
- Ability to work on multiple, simultaneous initiatives of which he/she will apply their applicable business, technical and system functionality background.
Key Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Support Safeway’s virtual platforms, including VMWare Server Platforms, Virtual Desktop Platforms, etc.
- Optimize compute utilization on virtual platform
- Partner with Capacity Planning for proactively managing the virtual infrastructure
- Develop and maintain lifecycle plans for the virtual infrastructure and applications
- Monitor all change implemented for impact analysis.
- Identifies opportunities for better monitoring
- Work with the systems administrators for change implementation
- Maintain a common documentation library of standardized procedures and configurations (RunBooks)
- Cultivate, support, and promote an organizational culture that provides for high performance, high morale, integrity, and teamwork.
- Work with business representatives, IT Management, IT development, support teams and vendors to ensure on time, on budget, and quality delivery of technical solutions that support the strategic direction of the business and IT.
- Collaborate across Operations and Implementation teams to determine best solutions for support.